The New Zealand Association of Counsellors believes that counsellors work to:
- Provide individuals, families, groups and institutions with expanded or alternative perspectives and choices.
- Foster personal and social conditions in which client growth and development can occur.
- Encourage, support and challenge clients to translate their enhanced awareness into actions which increase a sense of worth and mastery.
- Offer leadership in the area of human relationships with awareness of and respect for difference.
- Advocate for those who are disempowered.