What is counselling?
Counselling is the process of talking about and working through your personal problems or emotional wellness issues with an appropriately trained and qualified professional.
The counsellor helps you to identify and address what’s upsetting or worrying you in a supportive way by helping you to clarify the issues, increase self-awareness, explore options and develop effective strategies.
A professional and well-trained counsellor helps you see things more clearly, possibly from a different view-point, and supports you to focus on feelings, experiences or behaviour that will bring about positive change.
Counselling is not about:
- Giving you advice.
- Being judgemental.
- Telling you to ‘get over it’ or ‘harden up’.
- Trying to sort out your problems in a way the counsellor thinks best.
- The counsellor giving you their own opinions and ways of coping.
- You and the counsellor getting emotionally involved.
- The counsellor looking at your problems from their own perspective, based on their own value system and/or cultural background.